Historic Fallsington
Related Information
Programs
Membership
Volunteers
The Museum Store
Our Resources
About Historic Fallsington Inc.

If you are interested in membership or volunteering, please select the appropriate button in the panel to your left.

History
In the early 1950’s, the pressure of suburban development threatened the buildings around Meetinghouse Square.

In 1953, a group of concerned citizens formed Historic Fallsington, Inc. to acquire selected buildings and to work with the government of Falls Township to foster the preservation of the heritage represented in the environs of the Square.

In 1955, a local ordinance created Pennsylvania’s first historic district. It functions to this day, protecting the appearance of structures in the majority of the Village and balancing the development interests of individuals with the town’s architectural heritage.

In 1961, Pennsylvania Act 167 formalized the right of local governments to organize historic districts.

In 1971, the Village of Fallsington was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Subsequently, individual structures have been placed on the Register.

 

Holdings
Over the years, Historic Fallsington, Inc. (HFI), has succeeded in acquiring or accepting stewardship of six buildings:

For a description of each of these, see the links on “Our Resources” page.

 


Organization
Historic Fallsington, Inc. is a private, non-profit historic preservation organization and museum which has been preserving and sharing the 300-year-old village of Fallsington for over 50 years. The organization was founded in 1953 in response to land development pressures that threatened the historical integrity of the village, consisting of over 90 historic buildings from the 17th, 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries.  The village was significant as a religious, social and market center for the surrounding community, as well as a stopover point for stagecoach travelers. While in residence at nearby Pennsbury Manor, William Penn attended religious services in Fallsington.

In recent years, the village has acquired additional significance for its sheer ability to survive, as industry; commercial strips, highways and housing developments have surrounded it. Through the support of members and friends, Historic Fallsington, Inc. has acquired, preserves and interprets six historic buildings in the context of their cultural landscapes. Along with the buildings, Historic Fallsington maintains a collection of artifacts and materials reflecting Lower Bucks County history some of which provide furnishing exhibits for three of the buildings.

The first building acquired by Historic Fallsington, Inc. was the Burges-Lippincott House. The elegant federal period house and home of the village doctor in the mid-19th century was restored by the organization in early 1960. In 1967 the organization restored the Stagecoach Tavern, a late 18th century structure, which was operated as a tavern or inn from 1799 until Prohibition. The restoration of the Schoolmaster’s House followed in the early 1970s. The Falls Monthly Meeting of Friends had originally constructed the house in 1758 for its schoolmaster. Shortly thereafter, in 1972, the Moon-Williamson Log House, a c.1760 settler’s hand-hewn log house, was restored. Currently, the Gillingham General Store, a c.1910 general store, is the site of Historic Fallsington, Inc.’s headquarters. The Gambrel Roof House, a 1728 stone meetinghouse which became a girls’ boarding school in the 19th century, is now an apartment building.

Historic Fallsington Inc.’s mission is to preserve and maintain the historic structures under its stewardship for future generations and educate the public about the culture and history of the village of Fallsington.

Historic Fallsington, Inc.’s Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall policy of the organization.  The Executive director implements policy as set forth by the Trustees. A small staff assists the director in daily operations and a dedicated group of volunteers support programming as needed.

Internship opportunities are available to students to enhance their programs of studies in fields such as American history, architectural history, public history, art history, material culture, museum management, museum education, preservation, and cultural resource management.